President Trump signs revised travel ban order
By: Erin Johnson, Xiro Xone News March 6, 2017 Updated: 4:11 PM
President Donald Trump has signed a new executive order on Monday, aimed at strengthening immigration control.
The new order bars people from 6 Muslim-majority countries for 90 days from entering the United States if they do not already possess a valid visa. The countries are Sudan, Syria, Iran, Libya, Somalia and Yemen.
In addition, the nation's refugee program will be suspended for 120 days, and it will not accept more than 50,000 refugees in a year, down from the 110,000 cap set by the Obama administration.
"We cannot risk the prospect of malevolent actors using our immigration system to take American lives," said John F. Kelly, the homeland security secretary, appearing alongside Secretary of State Rex W. Tillerson and Attorney General Jeff Sessions at the Ronald Reagan Federal Building in Washington.
"This executive order responsibly provides a needed pause, so we can carefully review how we scrutinize people coming here from these countries of concern," Attorney General Jeff Sessions said.
Secretary Tillerson defended the President's new order, saying Trump is using “his rightful authority” to keep people safe.
“This order is part of our ongoing efforts to eliminate vulnerabilities that radical Islamic terrorists can and will exploit,” he added.
Back in January, a federal court in the state of Washington issued an injunction against the original order, the decision was supported by appeals in court San Fransico last month.
The order also details specific sets of people who would be able to apply for case-by-case waivers to the order, including those previously admitted to the United States for "a continuous period of work, study, or other long-term activity," those with "significant business or professional obligations" and those seeking to visit or live with family.
President Trump's original order included a travel ban on Iraqis, but Iraq has been exempted from the latest ban as a result of bilateral talks. Visa applicants from the country will undergo more rigorous screening.
The previous order drew criticism for causing confusion at airports. To avoid this, the revised order only targets the first-time visa applicants and exempts green-card holders.
According to White House officials, the new order will not take effect until March 16.