Fernando Alonso not Cleared to Race at Bahrain Grand Prix
By: S.H. Harding, Xiro Xone News March 31, 2016
McLaren-Honda driver Fernando Alonso will not be competing in this weekend's Bahrain Grand Prix following his horror crash at the season-opening Australian Grand Prix. Alonso’s McLaren barrel-rolled into the track wall in Melbourne after colliding with Haas driver Esteban Gutierrez.
The car landed upside down on the gravel with Alonso emerging unscathed. However, Alonso has not recovered sufficiently to be able to take part in the race in Sakhir.
Formula One’s governing body, the FIA, said Alonso had been examined in Bahrain Thursday, when it was decided he should not take part in the race.
"Two sets of chest CT scans were compared and it was decided that there was insufficient resolution of the signs to allow him to compete on safety grounds," the FIA said.
"A repeat chest scan has been requested before the Chinese Grand Prix, and the results will be considered before allowing him to race there."
McLaren-Honda reserve driver Stoffel Vandoorne will be replacing Alonso, where he will make his F1 debut.
Vandoorne, the current GP2 champion, tweeted that he was "so much looking forward to it" and added that he "will do my best for the team."
After Alonso’s crash he said "I am thankful to be here. It was a scary moment and a scary crash.
"When I stopped, I saw a little space to get out of the car and I went out quickly just to make sure that my mum, who was watching the race on TV at home, could see that I was OK."