Antonio Giovinazzi to drive for Alfa Romeo Sauber next season
By: S. Harding, Xiro Xone News September 25, 2018 Updated: 4:22 PM PT
Alfa Romeo Sauber has announced that Ferrari junior driver Antonio Giovinazzi will drive for the team during the 2019 Formula One season.
Giovinazzi will replace Marcus Ericsson and join Kimi Raikkonen who will swap places with Charles Leclerc at Ferrari. Ericsson will remain on the team as a reserve driver and Brand Ambassador.
Sauber Team Principal Frédéric Vasseur spoke on Giovinazzi’s arrival.
“We are very pleased to reveal the complete driver line-up for the 2019 season,” Vasseur said. “We first signed Kimi Räikkönen, an extremely experienced driver who will contribute to the development of our car and will accelerate the progress of our team as a whole.
Together with Alfa Romeo, we are delighted to welcome Antonio Giovinazzi, who will take the place of Charles Leclerc. We have already had the opportunity to work with him in the past and he has proven to have great potential. We are very determined and motivated. Our target is to continue progressing and fighting together for positions that count.”
Giovinazzi made his debut with Sauber at the Australian Grand Prix last season filling in for the injured Pascal Wehrlein.
Though he only competed in two races, the 24-year old Italian driver has completed a number of tests as well as free practice session.
Giovinazzi’s resume also consists of time in European Formula 3 LMS and DTM. He also participated in the 24 Hours of Le Mans for Ferrari earlier this year.
“I am delighted to be joining the Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 Team. This is a dream come true, and it is a great pleasure to have the chance to race for this team. As an Italian, it is a huge honor for me to represent a brand as iconic and successful as Alfa Romeo in our sport.’
“I would like to thank the Scuderia Ferrari and the Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 Team for giving me this great opportunity. I am very motivated and cannot wait to start working towards achieving great results together,” Giovinazzi said.
Sauber’s announcement is the latest in the ever evolving driver market as the 2019 Formula One grid continues to take shape.